Additional Military Aid to U.S. Imperialism's Attack Dog in the Middle East
December 19, 2013
As part of U.S. imperialism's ongoing commitment to guarantee Israel's "Qualitative Military Advantage", the U.S. Congress has included an amendment in the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal 2014 authorizing an increase of $284 million in military aid to Israel. The Democratic and Republican lawmakers in Congress admit that the extra money includes additional support for Israel's "Ballistic Missile Defense Program" and that it will bring aid to Israel in 2014 to a total of nearly $3.4 billion.
The amended National Defense Authorization Act passed in the House of Representatives on December 12th and is widely expected to be passed in the Senate and signed into law by President Obama.
Deployment of a Ballistic Missile Defense System in Israel is part of the U.S. strategy to prepare "nuclear attack options that vary in scale, scope, and purpose that will complement other military capabilities." Amongst other things, this strategy includes (according to the Nuclear Posture Review):
– a "first-strike" nuclear strategy and capability i.e., using nuclear weapons against an enemy, including even non-nuclear states;
– the targeting of non-nuclear countries with nuclear weapons, listing North Korea, Iran, and Syria among the targets. For example, on November 7, 2004 the UPI reported on a newly declassified U.S. government document which admitted that since 1998 the U.S. has had an active contingency plan to drop as many as 30 nuclear warheads on North Korea.
– the rejection of arms control agreements, such as the Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) Treaty and the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT);
– vigorous pursuit of new uses and missions for nuclear weapons, the production of new missiles, bombers and submarines, design of new types of nuclear weapons and making major new investments in weapons production facilities;
– the need for "renewed nuclear testing."