U. S. Massacres in Iraq
April 2, 2006
On March 27, Iraq's security minister accused U.S. troops of killing 37 unarmed people in an attack on a mosque on March 26th.
"At evening prayers, American soldiers accompanied by Iraqi troops raided the Mustafa mosque and killed 37 people," Abd al-Karim al-Enzi, minister of state for national security, said. "They were all unarmed. Nobody fired a single shot at them (the troops). They went in, tied up the people and shot them all. They did not leave any wounded behind," he told Reuters news agency.
Other eyewitness reports state that American military forces surrounded the Al Mustafa mosque in northeast Baghdad, while helicopters buzzed overhead and a fleet of heavily armed Humvees sealed off the exits. The mosque's 80-year-old imam, and many other civilians, were killed in the attack.
Videotape showed a pile of bodies with gunshot wounds on the floor of the Imam's living quarters in the mosque. There were also 5.56mm shell casings on the floor, which is the type of ammunition used by U.S. soldiers.
Another massacre of Iraqis occurred on November 19, when marines shot dead at least 15 Iraqi civilians, including seven women and three children. The shooting took place in the village of Haditha, 140 miles northwest of Baghdad in the western province of Anbar.
Residents of the village say that the marines went on the rampage after a soldier was killed in a roadside blast. The U.S. soldiers "began shooting dead the inhabitants of nearby homes and others from the area" according to reports. The only shooting done after the bombing was by U. S. forces, according to the residents: "American troops immediately cordoned off the area and raided two nearby houses, shooting at everyone inside...It was a massacre in every sense of the word."
Initially, U.S. military officials stated the civilians were killed in a roadside blast, but this claim was disproved by an earlier investigation. A reporter for the BBC said a videotape, provided by an Iraqi human rights group, had shown the civilians "could not have been killed by a roadside bomb." He said "Their bodies were riddled with bullets....there was evidence there had been gunfire inside their homes, there were blood spatters inside their homes."
The U.S. military admitted on March 20 that a dozen Marines are under investigation into the incident, and that the videotape was presented in support of the allegations.
These recent atrocities committed by the U.S. military in Iraq have again provided a glimpse of the typical methods used by U.S. imperialism. They are only two exposures in a long list of war crimes committed by the U.S. government during its continuing war and occupation of Iraq.
Such atrocities are still being carried out.