Growing Support for the Palestinian People
(April 8, 2002)
Millions of people throughout the world are coming out in demonstrations and other actions to demand an immediate end to U.S.-Israeli aggression and an end to the occupation of Palestine. The peoples are supporting the Palestinian liberation struggle and demanding the creation of an independent Palestinian state as the only way to advance the cause of peace and justice.
A partial list includes:
- Over one million people turned out for a demonstration in Rabat, Morocco on April 5.
- Although demonstrations are officially banned in Egypt, huge gatherings of tens of thousands have taken place on a number of university campuses. On March 30, over 50,0000 protested in Cairo.
- In Lebanon, seven consecutive days of rallies and protests have taken place in Beirut and other cities, including one in the city of Baalbek on April 6, where an estimated 20,000 turned out.
- March 30, over 10,000 demonstrate on the streets of Tripoli, Libya.
- Over 20,000 march against Israeli aggression on April 2, in Baghdad.
- Government officials join thousands on the streets of Teheran, Iran to condemn U.S-Israeli aggression.
- On April 1, over 20,000 march through the capitol, Khartoum, Sudan.
- Tel Aviv, Israel - On April 7, an estimated 15,000 people participate in a pro-peace rally, calling for Israeli withdrawal from the occupied territories.
- On April 6, in Rome, Italy, over 50,000 people rallied for Palestine in the Piazza del Popolo.
- In Paris, over 20,000 people marched to the Place de la Bastille on April 6. Thousands more demonstrated in the cities of Nantes, Rennes, Rouen, Lille, Strasbourg, Metz, Grenoble, and Marseilles.
- In the Swiss capital of Bern, an estimated 10,000 people attended a pro-Palestinian rally on April 6. The next day, over 10,000 people demonstrated in Barcelona, Spain.
- Rallies for Palestine have also occurred throughout Germany, including a demonstration of over 5,000 in Hamburg on March 31.
- On March 30, in London, over 8,000 people marched against U.S. and British imperialism, and in support of the Palestinian liberation struggle.
- On April 5, an estimated 10,000 people rallied in Times Square, New York, to condemn U.S.-Israeli terror against the Palestinian population.
- In Chicago, on April 6, over 5,000 people marched to the Israeli consulate.
In recent days, similar demonstrations have taken place in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, Dearborn, Michigan, Berkeley, San Francisco and many other cities.